Do your playground borders need replacing, or are you starting a new playground project from scratch? Here at Direct Rubber Mulch, we offer a variety of high quality playground edging, and our expert team is happy to work with you to find the perfect solution to your playground surfacing needs, ensuring that you have an environment that is both safe for children and looks great.
The primary function of borders is to contain loose-fill surfacing, but they serve many other purposes as well. They provide a visual barrier that marks the distinction between play and non-playing areas, which can keep walkers, cyclists and joggers from straying into the path of distracted children and vice versa. They can also separate different play zones, encouraging small children to stay in an area with playground equipment suitable for their age and ability, again reducing the likelihood of injury.
Our range of border products includes plastic playground border timbers which are made from black HDPE recycled plastic and come in 8” and 12” height options. When combined with our ADA ramps, this variety of playground border allows easy access for wheelchair users and anyone who may have limited mobility. The larger height of these mulch borders makes them more suitable for those playgrounds that require deep loose-fill surfaces such as wood mulch.
In addition, we also carry rubber curb borders. Available in 4”, 6” and 8” heights, this brown rubber curbing is flexible, making it easy to create fluid curves and bends. It’s perfect for play areas that have an irregular shape. Rubber borders are also commonly used in landscaping because they provide a clean edge with a look that isn’t harsh or intrusive.
Whichever type of playground border you choose, installation is simple. Just overlap the adjacent border ends and drive the supplied spike through the aligned holes and into the ground. It’s a very straight-forward process.
How do I know how many borders I need?
Playground borders are essential for containing your rubber mulch, but it can be difficult to anticipate exactly how many borders you need and what type suits your requirements. At Direct Rubber Mulch we pride ourselves on sharing our experience and knowledge to help you find the ideal edging for your playground or landscaping project.
The basic formula for working out how much playground mulch border you need is as follows:
- Measure the perimeter of your playground.
- Determine how much border each section will provide. This is noted as the “Border Length” under the features on the product page. It’s a little different than the total end to end length because a few inches are lost where the sections overlap.
- Divide the total perimeter length by the border length. This gives you the approximate number of borders that you need.
- If you’re creating a square or need right angles at the corners, you’ll want to make sure that the each edge is divisible by the border length. This will ensure that you can create the corner without having to cut any borders.
- When it comes to border height, we recommend that you choose a border that is between one and two inches higher than the layer of loose-fill material or rubber mulch in your playground or landscape area. This will help keep the bulk of it contained and maximize its efficiency.
For more detailed information and tips check out out our blog post entitled how many playground borders do I need?
At Direct Rubber Mulch we are committed to providing top quality playground solutions that give both children and adults the best play or park experience possible. Contact us today to find out how our borders and accessories can improve the functionality, safety, and beauty of your playground or landscaping project.